wan·der·lust

From reporting in Wrangell to teaching in Tanzania and Bhutan to, now, transitioning to life in the capital city of Juneau – some words on a life in flux.

11 January 2006

The Joys of Being a Newspaper Reporter in a Small Town (or Bi Monthly Hell for a Newspaper Reporter in a Small Town Who Has to Cover EVERYTHING)

On Tuesday nights (which also happens to be my deadline night), every couple of weeks, I have a steady date which lasts anywhere from one and a half to three hours. My date is always on time, always shows up, and is never at a loss for words. Sometimes the time is passed with conflict, sometimes with a lot of agreement – it depends on what is discussed. At first I hated them, but over time they’ve grown on me so now I don’t mind them all too much. I’ve started to become more and more knowledgeable about topics and issues I once knew nothing about. Fear has been replaced by a sort of comfort. I even laugh at some of the jokes.

Who wouldn't want a date with the City Council?

(This is how late I stayed at work tonight).

1 Comments:

Blogger Mike Tozzo said...

You know it's funny that you write this in your blog. I feel almost the exact same way about my city council meetings. It's been hectic around here lately with my stories and all, but I will tell Ann that I want to go to Juneau in a couple of weeks. The ferry is a lot cheaper than the plane by the way.

8:18 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home