wan·der·lust

From reporting in Wrangell to teaching in Tanzania and Bhutan to, now, transitioning to life in the capital city of Juneau – some words on a life in flux.

17 June 2007

The Bay

This is where I’ll be for the next month. I’ll be living and working on a 32-foot gillnetting boat with three other people – Frank and Connie, who are married, and another deckhand named Sierra. Sierra is from Cordova and this is all I know about her. We’ll be fishing for sockeye salmon.

I guess Bristol Bay has the largest commercial sockeye salmon fishery in the world. As I’ve never experienced any kind of commercial sockeye salmon fishery, or any fishery for that matter, I guess I’ll get to see what this means firsthand.

I leave tomorrow. I fly from Wrangell, to Anchorage, to King Salmon, where Frank and Connie will pick me up and we'll go to Naknek. This will be my first time as a deckhand. I guess I’ll learn a thing or two about boats and commercial gillnet fishing.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Have an amazing time, and please be safe! I assume you won't be posting while you're away but do take lots of photos to post when you get back. Much love and safe travels my dear.
~Anri

12:44 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow! That is awesome! Have fun! Pictures!
-Steve

4:51 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home