wan·der·lust

From reporting in Wrangell to teaching in Tanzania and Bhutan to, now, transitioning to life in the capital city of Juneau – some words on a life in flux.

21 January 2011

Tashi Delek

It was a cloudy landing in Paro, not a perfect blue sky day, but still beautiful in every way. As I got off the plane, I was awed by the airport’s architecture and felt compelled to take many photos to capture my arrival. As we entered the terminal, the Bhutan Canada Foundation teachers got shuffled into the ‘Diplomats’ line – I guess we are working for the government. As soon as I went through immigration, Karma was waiting. All the men in the airport were wearing National Dress – a gho which falls beneath the knee. Below the hem of the gho, the men wear knee high socks and black dress shoes. Karma has a warm face, handsome and distinguished. Then I spotted Meena, our Bhutan-based email contact for the past few months. Immediately we discussed Scott’s situation. Meena and Karma said his visa clearance will hopefully come through early next week and that he should be in the country Wednesday or Thursday. Let’s cross our fingers. Apparently, the fact that it was a holiday on Thursday (due to snow) and today (due to the mayoral election) didn’t help matters. I’m hoping they are right.

Seven other teachers and I piled into a minivan and left the airport and drove on a windy road with breathtaking scenery on both sides. For all of us, it was our first time in the land of thunder dragon…

The Druk Air plane that brought me to Bhutan.

The Paro International Airport in Bhutan.

Right now I am the same age as his Majesty Jigme Khesar Namgyel Wangchuk, the fifth King of Bhutan. We are both monkeys according to the Chinese Calendar, born 1980. But on February 21, the King will turn 31, passing me in age and, I’m sure, in many other things as well. This sign welcomed us at the airport.

Downtown Paro.

My first Bhutanese meal, at Dagmar Restaurant.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

FANtastic - we are fans of yours and Bhutan!! Sophie and I have been planning on going to Bhutan! So we are very interested in your experiences there! Beautiful! Be happy! Cheers! Much Love, The O'Brien's

6:27 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home