wan·der·lust

From reporting in Wrangell to teaching in Tanzania and Bhutan to, now, transitioning to life in the capital city of Juneau – some words on a life in flux.

17 March 2011

Sick

Today I was blessed by the Good Teaching Fairy. For some reason, things just clicked today. The students were engaged, they were participating, I made them laugh. In short, I don’t know what happened. It might have something to do with being delirious.

For the past some odd years, including my year in Africa, I’ve boasted a healthy immune system, a sickles track record. It all came crashing down Monday afternoon. I’ve been struck by something. All the students seem to have tinges of it. Everyone is coughing, everyone has a runny nose. In fact, I’m quite amazed at how far down snot can drip before a kid snorts it back up into his or her nose. It’s disgusting and entertaining. So I should’ve stayed home Tuesday or Wednesday or today, but I refuse to use any of my ten ‘casual leave’ days for actual sickness. No, I will save it for a cool trip Scott and I will take sometime this year. And I can’t stay home tomorrow because it’s the first English literary event of the year, which I’m running.

Anyway, whatever it was, it was nice. My teaching, the students absorbing. If only everyday could be a good teaching day. Huh, I wonder if some teachers have that.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home