wan·der·lust

From reporting in Wrangell to teaching in Tanzania and Bhutan to, now, transitioning to life in the capital city of Juneau – some words on a life in flux.

20 July 2011

Kiran

Back in February I moved my newspaper club from Orkeeswa to Kanglung Primary School. The club is a lot bigger – 22 students ranging from grade 4 to 6 – and there’s a lot more hand holding, but overall it’s been a success with the inaugural issue of the KPS Observer having come out in June. And so, with a new semester, comes a new issue (or two, which is my hope).

There are around a handful of students in the club who have real reporting talent, who take initiative, think of their own story ideas, come to club excited with stories to hand in. And there’s one student in particular, Kiran (my favorite), who’d probably make a better reporter than some adults who write for Bhutanese newspapers. He’s a kid after my own heart.

This morning, the new PE teacher arrives. Her name is Rika and she’s from Japan. As I walked down to morning assembly, I thought, ‘Perfect. The newspaper club can do a story on the new PE teacher.’ I walked to my normal spot in front of 6A, my class. After morning prayer and meditation, the principal stepped forward to introduce Rika. At the start of his introduction, Kiran, who stands in the front of the 6A boys line, leans toward me and whispers, “Ma’am, we can interview her for the newspaper.”

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home