wan·der·lust

From reporting in Wrangell to teaching in Tanzania and Bhutan to, now, transitioning to life in the capital city of Juneau – some words on a life in flux.

30 July 2012

Fiction or Non-Fiction

Even though it’s day four of the second semester, Abel, a form one student, just showed up today for the first time since vacation ended. Over the break, he accidentally stabbed his foot with a panga, or a very large knife, so was unable to walk well enough to attend school. I first laid eyes on him this morning in town, recognizing him to be an Orkeeswa student because of his uniform but knowing I had never seen him before. In just one day, Abel’s made quite the impression on me.

After school today I sat with Abel and another form one boy, Oshumu, while I waited for the school Land Rover’s ‘second shift.’ Whenever I’m sitting with Orkeeswa students for a decent amount of time, I never know where the conversation will go. Sometimes I find myself deep in engrossing talks; other times I’m hard-pressed to find any topic that will grab their attention. With Oshumu and Abel, the conversation carried itself; I had almost nothing to do with it.
Oshumu: Can you sleep when you’re in a plane?
Me: Yes, I can sleep.

Oshumu: But then, if the plane goes down, you’ll miss it.

Me: No, I wouldn’t miss it. There would be too many people screaming. It would be really loud and I would wake up,
Abel: If the plane goes down, won’t Superman save it?

(Unlike the majority of our students, Abel somehow knows pop culture references.)
Me: What do you think?
Abel: Yes, I think he would.
Me: (Looking first at Abel, then Oshumo, who doesn’t know who Superman is) Is Superman fiction or non-fiction?
Abel: Non-fiction.
Oshumu: (Looking like I’ve asked him the easiest question in the world) Fiction.
Me: (Looking at Abel) Superman is fiction. He’s not real.
Abel: How about Spiderman?
Me: (To Oshumu) Is Spiderman fiction or non-fiction?
Oshumu: Who?
Me: Spiderman.
Oshumu: (Again, without having any prior knowledge of who Spiderman is) Fiction.
Abel: So many are not real?
It felt like telling a small child that Santa Claus doesn’t exist.
A half hour later.
Abel: When you fly in a plane, do you reach the stars?
I love questions like this. A question like this reminds you of all the innocence in the world. It reminds you of how much knowledge you take for granted. What was funny is that, while I know you can’t reach the stars in a plane, I didn’t know how to explain why not. In situations like this, I tend to pass the question to Scott.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home