wan·der·lust

From reporting in Wrangell to teaching in Tanzania and Bhutan to, now, transitioning to life in the capital city of Juneau – some words on a life in flux.

15 February 2006

A Few Things

There are a few things about my town that I think are obvious that other people (who do not live here) still seem shocked to find out.

My friend who is currently living in Philadelphia was telling me about starting her own book club, and I was saying how I would love to do that here. In fact, I have brought that up to a few people here. But there is one major setback to that goal – the lack of a bookstore. My friend in Philly was shocked when I told her this, which shocked me because I feel like I’ve been quite clear about how small Wrangell really is. There is no bookstore. The closest one is in Petersburg, and theirs is really quite nice. I’m envious of it. Here, all the members would have to buy books off the internet in order to have a successful book club. That, or only read books that the library has five or more copies of. This same friend said that no bookstore is reason number one to not live here. Despite the fact that I do live here, I may agree with her.

I was IMing with another friend and we were talking about breakfast which led to us to talking about how good McDonald hash browns are, and I said I would love to have McDonalds now (yes, I admit it, I like McDonalds. My intestines must be clogged). And he asked, “There isn’t a McDonalds there?” And this is a friend I have talked to a lot since moving here. A McDonalds? Here? When people go away to towns that have McDonalds, like Ketchikan or Seattle or Juneau, they’ll bring back happy meals for their little cousins or kids or whoever. Cold happy meals.

Another thing I’d like to share is that before each city council meeting there is a prayer. We say the Pledge of Allegiance first and I can barely stomach that. Perhaps I’ll ask someone about that soon – why is there a prayer before a CITY council meeting?

I keep thinking that a trip away will be a cure-all. But I know, I do, that there is no cure-all. I’ve never been able to escape loneliness altogether. How did I go from book clubs to McDonalds to loneliness? I guess it’s always in the back of my mind somewhere, if it’s not in the front. I want to conquer this place, I do. I don’t want to cower away and let them think I couldn’t handle it. Or worse, I don’t want to move away just yet and know that no one will be missing me.

I received a fabulous email today from a very dear friend whose words always enlighten me, always give me a boost I forgot existed.

It’s just about the three-month mark, of me being here. It’s that point in a relationship where someone oftentimes feels like bailing, like escaping, as if things could potentially get more serious. This is what I’ve heard from others. I’ve never had this three-month cold feet thing.

Until now.

1 Comments:

Blogger Jaime Schwarz said...

The pledge of allegence is a prayer?
And yes, 3 months is about right. That's why I was in London and Amsterdam for only 3 months each, but they did have crappy crappy mcdonalds.

9:18 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home