wan·der·lust

From reporting in Wrangell to teaching in Tanzania and Bhutan to, now, transitioning to life in the capital city of Juneau – some words on a life in flux.

03 February 2006

Friday Afternoon Lull

I walked to Zak’s to pick up lunch and it was sunny. Now it’s almost 3 pm and I stare out the office window into a picture of grey and snow. I have to run some typical errands – mailing a copy of the paper out to my cousin Minh, which I’ve been doing every week since I saw him in San Francisco, and deposit a well needed paycheck. But I’m finding it hard to work up the motivation to leave the office. Because I find wearing the same jacket every single day boring, I decided to wear a thick sweater and a jean jacket all the while knowing today’s high was only supposed to be 32 degrees. Sometimes I’m a moron, but sometimes I know I am and actually strive to be so – it brings me back to those days in high school when 50 degrees meant every reason to wear a skirt to school.

I’ve been having a hard time recently suppressing the desire to leave this island and go far far away to a place where snow doesn’t exist, where I wouldn’t have to worry about covering the 100th day at the elementary school, where a pick-up truck isn’t the vehicle of choice. I actually find these things quite interesting (not the 100th day thing); I’m not faulting Wrangell at all for my desire to flee.

It just stopped snowing.
And it just started again.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Chin up, Phu! (Or, if no chinning up is to be done, at least know you're loved in Pittsburgh.)

8:16 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I feel like on those grey and snowy days, you need only to scroll back to your last entry. Wrangell may have it's faults, but those glaciers are pretty fucking amazing.

Sometimes it's just hard to remember what we should feel lucky about.

11:56 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home