wan·der·lust

From reporting in Wrangell to teaching in Tanzania and Bhutan to, now, transitioning to life in the capital city of Juneau – some words on a life in flux.

03 October 2007

Free Money?

I don’t want to gloat or anything but I just got free money.

That’s right. I just looked into my bank account and saw that I have more money than I’ve ever had in my entire life. I looked at the activity detail to see the source of this swell and there it was – my 2007 Permanent Fund Dividend. $1,654 from the Alaska state government that I get for free.

Well, it does get taxed, so it’s not totally free.

In order to get the PFD, a person must live in Alaska at least one full year starting on a January. That’s the only qualification. There’s no age requirement. This is the first time I’ve ever received a PFD, so it’s brand new to me. One day the money wasn’t there, and now, today it is, and all I had to do was fill out an online form.

My co-worker Beth has nine kids and is constantly getting hounded by the PFD department about fraud. She’s even been accused by some individuals in town that the PFD is the only reason she has so many kids.

The whole of the $1,654 will be spent wisely in a country 90 miles off the tip of Florida.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home