wan·der·lust

From reporting in Wrangell to teaching in Tanzania and Bhutan to, now, transitioning to life in the capital city of Juneau – some words on a life in flux.

03 January 2010

Some Thoughts Before Departure

It’s around 10 pm New York time and Scott and I are sitting near gate A4 in Terminal 4 at JFK International Airport. It’s our second time being at this airport this week. Just days ago, we landed here from Denver and were picked up by my mom and Cam Ly. Tonight, just my mom dropped us off because Cam Ly and her boyfriend Brian were already on the road back to Kentucky. I called my mom an hour and a half after she dropped us off to make sure she made it home okay. She’s been feeling sick the past couple of days and I was worried about her drive, about the weather, just worried in general. But she was home, safe and sound. We talked briefly and when we got off the phone, I said, “I love you.” I hadn’t said it so clearly or firmly since I was, perhaps, nine-years-old.

Maybe it’s because I’m going to Africa for at least a year. Maybe it’s because I was so worried and thankful that she was safe. Maybe it’s because I’m finally wiser. Whatever it was or is, I’m glad for it. It’s allowed me to get over whatever barrier was there and tell my mom, the one person who deserves to hear it the most, how important she is to me.

In a couple short hours, Scott and I will be on a plane headed for a new continent.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home