wan·der·lust

From reporting in Wrangell to teaching in Tanzania and Bhutan to, now, transitioning to life in the capital city of Juneau – some words on a life in flux.

23 July 2011

Interesting Cultural Points of a Staff Meeting

• The principal opened up the meeting with a short clip from a video on meditation that featured an animated androgynous naked person with no hair sitting in Indian position. Before I came to Bhutan, I thought everyone here meditated. Now I know that, while meditation is a huge part of those who chose to lead a religious life, an average Bhutanese knows as much about meditation as an average American, which is likely to be very little.

• During our tea break – which, to my dismay, featured butter tea instead of normal black tea with milk and sugar – the principal entertained us with a slideshow titled, “Leadership Lessons with Barack Obama.” Each slide was a different picture of Obama with a generic line on leadership skills. For instance, one slide featured a closeup of Obama whispering into Hillary Clinton’s ear with the line, “Yesterday’s opponent is today’s collaborator.” Another slide featured Obama in a cowboy hat and the line read, “Don’t be afraid to experiment.” While watching the slideshow, I tried to pretend I was entertained and amused as I could sense the principal glancing over at me throughout the slideshow.

• While going through the upcoming school calendar of events, the staff realized that agriculture work is supposed to start up again next Saturday, 30 July. Apparently 30 July is an auspicious day, so the students simply cannot do agricultural work. When I asked Madam Kinzang, who was sitting next to me, why, she replied, “Because it’s an auspicious day. We’re not allowed to do work outside.” Again, why? “Because if we work outside, we might kill insects.”

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home