wan·der·lust

From reporting in Wrangell to teaching in Tanzania and Bhutan to, now, transitioning to life in the capital city of Juneau – some words on a life in flux.

09 May 2012

Like a Prostitute

Throughout our whole first full day back in Bangkok, locals spoke to me as if I was Thai. At the Chinese Consulate, they spoke to me as if I understood Chinese. English coming out of my mouth shocks people and I can hear laughter – workers laughing at their co-worker’s mistake of assuming I was Thai and speaking to me as one – as I walk away. 

*
 
It’s hard to be in Southeast Asia with Scott and not feel like a prostitute. We walk around and I perpetually feel others sizing us up, that I’m his Thai/Lao/Cambodia prostitute, a local girl who preys on white foreign men using them for money or a potential ticket out. If I didn’t open my mouth and talk to reveal a western world accent, why wouldn’t what they were thinking be true? These type of pairings are all over Southeast Asia – white men with their Southeast Asian girlfriend or wife. These men are sometimes older, chubbier than average, lonely looking. I’m terrible. I cast judgment but complain about others’ judgment on me.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home