wan·der·lust

From reporting in Wrangell to teaching in Tanzania and Bhutan to, now, transitioning to life in the capital city of Juneau – some words on a life in flux.

16 March 2013

March



In the years we spent in Tanzania and Bhutan, March was a long month. The thrill and newness of the place had worn off around that time, routine had set in, and it was all about the work. March could feel like forever.

But this March is different. The days don’t seem like they could possibly slow down and I know there are reasons for this. So far this month, Scott and I have reconnected with two dear Wrangell friends. Time leading up to their visit and then the actual time spent with them felt like it was in fast-forward. We couldn’t pause or hold on to their time with us. Also, everything in the Capitol is moving in high speed. Bills and resolutions are flying through committee meetings. The period between when a bill is introduced to when the public is allowed to testify on it is miniscule. Meetings and floor sessions are extending into the evening time, so my daily routine seems compacted.

And daylight. March in Alaska means the return of longer days. When Scott and I arrived in January, the sun rose after 8 am and set around 4 pm. Now it’s not getting dark until 7 pm. Each day we’re gaining noticeable daylight. I’ve been finding myself asking the same question – where did all this light come from? With these longer days comes a change of perspective, a change of mood. What’s even more amazing is that during this March the sun has decided to show itself in this rainforest for days on end. We had a stretch of six sunny days and now I think we’re in the beginning of another several-day period of sun. Southeast Alaskans don’t quite know what to do with so much sun.

March for me also means not finding the time to write or the time to properly look for a permanent job. I did put in applications to two whale watching tour companies. After a thorough interview with one of these companies, I got an official job offer to be a Naturalist. I need to decide by this coming Thursday if I want to spend my summer on the water telling tourists about whales and Alaska. While it’s not a move towards a career, there are definitely worse ways to spend a summer in Juneau. Right now I’m on the fence about the whole thing, but I also don’t have any other employment options. The legislative session is scheduled to end April 15, at which point, my time in the Capitol will be over, as well as my paychecks.



The flats, across the street from where we live, on a sunny day.

1 Comments:

Blogger Cyn said...

So what did you decide about the job?

7:54 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home