wan·der·lust

From reporting in Wrangell to teaching in Tanzania and Bhutan to, now, transitioning to life in the capital city of Juneau – some words on a life in flux.

17 January 2006

Water Aerobics

Every Tuesday (if I’m not at the office late) and Thursday I look forward to water aerobics at 5:45 at the community pool. I look forward to getting into my bathing suit (a bikini which I wear a tank top over since everyone else is wearing a one piece), grabbing two foam dumbbells (hand buoys), buckling the foam weights on my ankles, and quickly sliding into the heated salt water pool as it seems a difficult task to actually jump in with foam weights on.

[The salt water somehow goes through some processing while in the pool and becomes chlorine – I know it doesn’t actually become chlorine (or maybe it does – I’m horrible at science) but it becomes like chlorine, a chlorine agent perhaps. All I know is that the water doesn’t taste salty and when I get out of the pool my body and hair smell like chlorine.]

Most people, since you’re supposed to, wash off under the shower before getting into the pool. I don’t do that because I like being able to feel the water temperature of the pool as I get in, which is lost if you get wet beforehand. I also don’t because I hate following stupid rules like that, even though I know it’s probably not stupid.

The group that attends water aerobics is mixed. You have a few married thirty-somethings, some older grandmother types, the younger girls still in high school, and there’s even that one old man who stays to himself and does water aerobics like it's tai chi. No one wears a swimming cap, which I approve of.

We jog in the water, arms pumping on the side or arms pumping to the back. We do jumping jacks in the water without allowing our arms to come above. There’s leapfrog during which I pretend I’m a cheerleader able to perform fabulously high split jumps. Doing front cuff touches is as if you’re hitting a hackysack around with the inside edge of your foot, but instead of a hackysack you’re kicking your opposing hand buoy. Of course, there’s back cuff touches. We do scissor kicks, large and small, which I think you can figure out. Cross-country is another easy one to figure out. When we straddle jog, I imagine I’m running on two rows of laid out tires, something I’ve never actually done before but have seen on TV a lot. Cossack kicks are hard to explain through writing.

All of this would be much clearer in the pool, where it actually doesn’t really matter what you’re doing since no one can really see unless they’re underwater wearing goggles.

1 Comments:

Blogger Jaime Schwarz said...

Just wanted to comment about your previous blog since I'd just read them all now, but yeah, I miss the Chappaqua of old. It's a different place now. It's that old saying "you can't go home" cause home changes. We have these huge mansions where the christian herald used to be, traffic is horendous, and parents have just become horrendous machines forcing their kids to do more and more in less and less time as they shove them around in $100,000 cars. I miss the old days. I look forward to finding my own Chappaqua some day too.

9:35 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home