wan·der·lust

From reporting in Wrangell to teaching in Tanzania and Bhutan to, now, transitioning to life in the capital city of Juneau – some words on a life in flux.

21 February 2006

A Part of a Whole

I have a blog entry in mind to write but since I have not written it yet, I am going to fill an entry with part of an email I wrote to a very good friend. What follows was not specifically written for the blog, but it is about Wrangell, and it is how I feel at the present moment, so why not put it in a blog.

Today was one of those great days. I think for a few reasons. One, I wrote an email last night to Danielle (the friend you met in Delaware who still works at Lingnan) and said I was sick of my thoughts (my most recent ones being of wanting to leave here but making a resolution to stay here at least until September, through the summer) and that as long as I was here -- after all, the actions I took, the decisions I made brought me out here -- I would make the most of it. I would enjoy the stress, enjoy the relaxation, enjoy the small town drama, enjoy it all, as much as I could. Two, one of the two people who I really feel close to in Wrangell is leaving tomorrow at 5 am on the ferry. For good. I’ve known her for maybe three weeks, and I feel genuinely... its weird to say, cause I'm happy for her but sad for me. She’s not someone I would've necessarily been friends with outside of Wrangell (which is a weird thing to say since we connect with different people at different times and places in our lives, which is what makes life) but I really connected with her, and felt she was awesome. And she's leaving. She’s been here for more than two years and she’s more than ready to leave. It’s sad she’s leaving, but I guess I’m happy to have met her and made that connection. And there has to be a three. Three, I’m 25 and healthy. And underlining books (like I just started doing again with Portrait of a Lady) makes me really happy. It was one of those great days, where perhaps nothing, or almost nothing, could've brought me down. Thank you for completing the good day. I may not be international, but I still have international friends who call me.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home