wan·der·lust

From reporting in Wrangell to teaching in Tanzania and Bhutan to, now, transitioning to life in the capital city of Juneau – some words on a life in flux.

20 July 2006

Up the River and On an Iceberg

The following images are almost two weeks old but I wanted to make sure I put them up because some of them are pretty silly.

Adam and I got a wake up call two Sunday mornings ago from Noah asking us if we wanted to go up the river with one of their coworkers. We did. But it meant we had a little over an hour to clean the house I had been petsitting at for two weeks – a task I had designated the whole day to do since the owner of the house was getting back to town around six that evening. I’ll leave out details of the express cleanup, but we did make it to the dock only five minutes late, which means we were pretty much on time if not a little early.

Weather-wise it was a typical Wrangell day – patchy rains, grey, windy. Didn’t seem like ideal going-up-the-river weather, but it was actually really fun. Since we went up with a friend and not a tourist charter, we got to do cool stuff like walk on an iceberg and Shake's Glacier. I even got to drive the boat for a little bit.

This is the first iceberg I've ever walked on. I'm pretty sure it was the first one Adam and Maria have ever walked on also. Notice how we're all being very responsible boat passengers, each weaing a PFD, ie. personal floatation device.

Adam and I had just watched March of the Penguins the night before. Noah and Adam doing belly slides.

I think this picture is amazing. When we arrived at Shake's Glacier, we found another boat filled with our friends already there. Kevin has just thrown a small boulder in the crack and I'm lying down watching because I'm scared of slipping and falling in if I stand too close to the edge. Maria is watching from afar and that's Noah.

Maria and I contemplated for a few minutes on whether or not we should attempt to jump over the crack. I ended up walking to a point where the gap wasn't as great and jumped over. This is me "woah"ing my big feat.

Me and Ad on Shake's. He really isn't that much taller than I am. Notice my practical rain pants purchased from Angerman's in Wrangell, the same store where my XtraTufs came from.

Overall, it was an excellent day trip, and when I went back to the petsitting house, the owner was back. I apologized for not having left it as nice as I would've liked and he said it looked way better than it does when him and his family are living in it, so that was a relief.

On a different note, my mother is coming to visit for a week on Sunday. I'm hoping she'll be able to glimpse what I've grown to love about Wrangell. Or perhaps her visit will only confirm to her more just how crazy I am to live here.

1 Comments:

Blogger Mike Tozzo said...

That's incredible! It is raining like crazy here, I am not looking forward to driving 20 miles in the rain this afternoon. Oh well, it should be an adventure.

10:37 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home