wan·der·lust

From reporting in Wrangell to teaching in Tanzania and Bhutan to, now, transitioning to life in the capital city of Juneau – some words on a life in flux.

18 May 2006

Graduation

It’s been six months to the day since I moved to Wrangell. I left New York on November 16, arrived in Petersburg, Alaska, on the 17th and then took the ferry to Wrangell on the 18th.

In eleven more days it’ll be one whole year since I left Hong Kong.

Tomorrow is graduation at the Wrangell High School. Thirty seniors will graduate in the high school gym. All the senior activity around town recently has been making me pretty nostalgic. To think about that last class, that last exam, last paper – I can only impose those memories now because I don’t recollect any of those things from high school. They are clearer in regards to college.

The seniors here are pampered upon, given free lunches, a multitude of parties, a two-page spread in this week’s paper. Wrangell’s hopefuls.

Can you recall how much potential was brewing that day you graduated from high school? So much life and energy and hope. And so sunny.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home