wan·der·lust

From reporting in Wrangell to teaching in Tanzania and Bhutan to, now, transitioning to life in the capital city of Juneau – some words on a life in flux.

27 October 2006

Oh, The Places You'll Go (and hopefully me too one day)

Every so often I hear about trips and journeys that make me green with envy. The refrain "one day" plays over and over in my mind, as well as the sinking feeling that perhaps "one day" may never come.

On top of the many, many countries that I still need to visit, areas of the world I need to explore, there are journeys I'd like to take, many of which involve driving. This was not an original idea of mine, but I'd love to take a roadtrip one summer through the states and visit all the baseball stadiums and watch at least one game in each. I'd love to combine that with music festivals, and an obscure museum tour.

People take these kinds of journeys all the time. I read about them. I hear about them. A friend here in Wrangell has ridden his bike from Haines, Alaska, to South America. My friend in Petersburg is planning a bike trip from Alaska to Texas. Journeys are embarked upon all the time, at any moment.

Oftentimes – certainly not all the time – journeys are taken by two people. My not-so-secret dream is to find a man who will go on these journeys with me, and suggest his own. Adventurous is definitely a trait I look for in a companion, which actually backfires on me, as that person is too adventurous to stay in one place, to commit. But that is a completely different topic of discussion (and perhaps one I’d rather not discuss for fear of sounding bitter, which I’m really not.)

Getting back to the subject of amazing journeys that make me envious, there is a couple in Wrangell this weekend who are on a trans-Americas journey. I plan on interviewing them tomorrow and am very excited and a bit intimidated because, clearly, these people are cool.

I implore you to check out the website: http://www.trans-americas.com/

And read about, “This is the Internet home of the Trans-Americas Journey. Keep tabs on Karen Catchpole (journalist) and Eric Mohl (photographer) during our three-year, 70,000+ mile road trip through North, Central and South America and maybe get inspired to quit your own job and hit your own road!”

Who else wants to quit their job?

2 Comments:

Blogger christopher jette said...

i am no expert, and my journeys have been few in relation to some, but.......

The best journeys that I have ever encountered are personal and internal. This can happen over thousands of miles or over thousands of hours

1:58 AM  
Blogger Mike Tozzo said...

Exactly!

9:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home