wan·der·lust

From reporting in Wrangell to teaching in Tanzania and Bhutan to, now, transitioning to life in the capital city of Juneau – some words on a life in flux.

23 March 2007

The Treasurer

I just performed my first duty as treasurer for Little League Baseball – I wrote a check for $1,776 for the charter and insurance.

Yes, I am the treasurer for Wrangell’s Little League Baseball program. I know, it’s pretty random as I don’t have any children in Little League; I don’t have any children at all. And while I do like baseball, I realized last year I couldn’t work up any desire to watch the Little League games as it was raining almost everyday of the season.

My co-worker, Beth (who has nine children ranging in ages 4 – 20) asked if I wanted to be treasurer. After she assured me it didn’t involve much work or going to the games, I said ok.

Then I went to the first meeting, which lasted an hour and a half, and found out that being the treasurer means being on the board. So, I’m on the Little League board. I get to say things like, “I second that,” which is actually pretty gratifying considering all of the meetings I’ve had to sit through this past year and a half where I haven’t said one word, let alone make decisions.

When Deanna, the past treasurer, stopped by my office yesterday to drop off the treasurer items, her arms were a lot more filled than I had anticipated. Instead of the one checkbook and a ledger, there was a whole file case of papers, two ledgers, a huge checkbook, and superfluous other items that look a bit scary.

Maria was, and still is, angry when she heard what I had done, as she knows she will bear the brunt of my complaining. She wonders why I get myself involved like this. I know I probably will complain and wonder why I committed myself, but I won’t wonder why I got myself involved.

Well, I better run and hang up some fliers for Little League registration which, have I mentioned, is taking place at the Wrangell Sentinel office on a Saturday afternoon. Gulp.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home