wan·der·lust

From reporting in Wrangell to teaching in Tanzania and Bhutan to, now, transitioning to life in the capital city of Juneau – some words on a life in flux.

05 October 2008

Fairbanks for the First Time

Scott and I left the Austin Hyatt (Austin, 90 degree weather) around 4 am this morning and, 21 hours later, I am sitting at a desk in the Westmark Hotel in Fairbanks (Fairbanks, snow on the ground). Tomorrow I start training for StoryCorps, an organization that I’ve wanted to work for since July 2005. This is when I first visited their website (storycorps.net) and listened to their stories from a dorm room in York University, England, and cried from being so touched.

I never got the internship I applied and interviewed for in Brooklyn, in August that same year. But now I am here, about to learn how to become a StoryCorps facilitator, and I am thrilled.

(Laura and Jonathan’s wedding was superb. Laura was beautiful. Scott and I danced till my legs hurt. I finally met Jonathan, which was as natural as seeing an old friend. And I spent time with Amanda and Jason.)

1 Comments:

Blogger CSF Education said...

It was so great to see you and to meet Scott. We miss you guys already, and we're going to start planning that trip to Alaska. Enjoy your training week!

9:10 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home