wan·der·lust

From reporting in Wrangell to teaching in Tanzania and Bhutan to, now, transitioning to life in the capital city of Juneau – some words on a life in flux.

04 November 2008

Where were you?

I was at Arctic Thai Restaurant.

Its neon blinking ‘Open’ sign led the way into an empty restaurant; empty except for the one crucial element – a TV. I sat at the plastic table closest to the TV, ordered some food, and asked for the remote – after all, I was the only one there – and I flipped between the station it was already on, CNN, and NBC for what was to be two hours of being glued to my seat.

It didn’t matter that I sat alone in a Thai restaurant in Barrow, Alaska, for two hours. It didn’t matter that that was the level I had to sink to in order to watch TV (there are no bars in Barrow, hence no bars with TVs) on Election Night.

Barack Obama is President.

And as I walked home in the freezing cold, I felt like being patriotic was, for the first time since I was eleven, possible.

1 Comments:

Blogger Jonathan Q. Weldon said...

Laura and I were at home watching it with our cat Nina, joking that she should pay attention because it was history in the making!

Glad to hear you got to watch the results!!! What a night!

8:24 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home