wan·der·lust

From reporting in Wrangell to teaching in Tanzania and Bhutan to, now, transitioning to life in the capital city of Juneau – some words on a life in flux.

11 January 2010

First Introductions

There have been so many new sights for my eyes – the plants and trees and hills around us, the herds of goats and cows passing by and the young boys with whips that make them go, all the different kinds of people young and old and what they’re wearing, the Orkweeswa school and all its components, the students’ smiles.

And there are so many new names and words – Petro (the boy who gave me a tour of the school who was way more talkative than I was at his age), shikamoo (the greeting towards someone older than you), marahaba (the reply to shikamoo), Robert (the name of the headmaster), Ma Billie (the woman who cooks and cleans at our house), Rose (one of the cooks at the school), and so many, many more.


School wasn’t supposed to officially start until next Monday, but a group of MIT students have come with different scientific and technological projects so the students started school today. Scott and I went to observe, see the school, and meet some of the students. And that was the best thing we could’ve done on our second day in Tanzania. As individual students asked what I was doing in Tanzania and for how long, their face would just light up when they heard the answers. Often their reply was, “Thank you. Welcome.”

Before the students left for the day around 4 pm, Peter introduced Scott and I to the group. When Peter said, “This is Lisa. She will be teaching Form 1 and Form 2 English,” all the students clapped. The same thing happened when Scott was introduced. I just looked from face to face and they were smiling these big, warm, welcoming smiles.

In some ways, part of the hurdle has been conquered – I’ve met the students and they seem to like me. But now I have to teach them, and I’m more terrified than ever. I don’t want to let them down.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home