wan·der·lust

From reporting in Wrangell to teaching in Tanzania and Bhutan to, now, transitioning to life in the capital city of Juneau – some words on a life in flux.

23 February 2012

I Heart Udaipur


Maybe I’m getting old, but I love the touristy, beautiful, enchanting city of Udaipur in Rajasthan. I loved the City Palace today – the inlayed glass, the tile work, the paintings of Moguls, the peacocks, the terraces and balconies and endless pillars and towers. I loved it all. 

We arrived yesterday by bus and took an auto-rickshaw to Hanuman Ghat in the old city. I had read and reread the printed out Lonely Planet pages of accommodations and had my heart set on a couple, but they were full. So we came to the Panorama Guesthouse and got a fabulous room – my favorite yet! – with wall paintings and sheets and towels and toilet paper (!) and two windows overlooking Pichola Lake. Picturesque Pichola Lake that holds two palaces on two separate islands. 

When we arrived at the Panorama Guesthouse, there was such a calm after our auto-rickshaw had just weaved through utter chaos on the other ghat before crossing the bridge. A peaceful calm – it was the first time I experienced that in India.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home