wan·der·lust

From reporting in Wrangell to teaching in Tanzania and Bhutan to, now, transitioning to life in the capital city of Juneau – some words on a life in flux.

02 August 2006

WeatherTalk

When I walked from the summer dock to the Sentinel office around noon today, it was raining hard. Because I had just gone to Woewodski Island by boat for a tour of the mining site, I was wearing long underwear, jeans, my Xtratufs (rubber boots), a long sleeve shirt, a fleece, one of those inner jacket layers, and then an outside shell – and I was still a little cold. This is my Wrangell summer.

According to Everett Hinkley’s Juneau Weather Page (a website Kevin swears by and Kevin is always right about the weather – it’s annoying sometimes how right he is) today’s high is around 60. Tomorrow seems to be the best day of the week with a high of 64, but the low is 48, which is literally half of what the weather is right now in New York City.

With my current weather life, it’s so hard for me to conceive of this massive heat wave occurring in, what seems like, every other state in America. But I am sympathetic as I have been in New York City in the summer without a heat wave and that’s brutal enough. Just thinking about being on a subway platform right now makes me want to sweat.

I think the hottest I’ve been for the past 8 months was when it was in the 70s for about six days in a row. Wrangell – a town of zero air conditioning or outdoor pools – became hot. I remember one day walking into Ottesen’s, a hardware store, and seeing a huge pyramid display of fans, and people buying them up quickly. The next day it rained.

And that was the end of hot.

2 Comments:

Blogger christopher jette said...

Since you are reporting weather I will alert you that it is 69 and sunny in Seattle. This is the most gorgeous and agreeable summer that I have encountered on my trips around the sun. It is nice to read about myself and about the 4th(I suppose that sounds really conceited, I don't mean it that way), we are really upset that we had to leave on the 1st, but, duty calls.

Your reports are bringing large grins to my readership, all 5 of them.

9:53 PM  
Blogger brad board babe said...

Consider yourselves lucky, friends. It is NOT a joke here in Manhattan. We're having a power emergency because of all the air conditioning, and there was a huge manhole fire, which meant curbed power to the entire east side of the island.

To add insult to injury, we haven't even beaten the record for hottest day in New York in history -- that happened in 1933, when Central Park hit 100 degrees. Yesterday it only hit 97 there. goddamnit.

10:34 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home