wan·der·lust

From reporting in Wrangell to teaching in Tanzania and Bhutan to, now, transitioning to life in the capital city of Juneau – some words on a life in flux.

08 August 2011

An American Dream

One morning a couple of weeks ago, Scott and I skyped with Cam Ly and Brian, her boyfriend recently turned fiancé. Even though Skype has been around for several years, it’s a fairly new technology for Scott and I. We just installed it this year and have video chatted only a handful of times with friends and family. As most of civilization already knows, video chatting is pretty amazing. From our living room in Bhutan to Cam Ly’s apartment in Louisville, Kentucky, the distance becomes so much smaller when you can see the person you’re talking to.

It was my first time talking to Cam Ly at all since I’ve been in Bhutan, and there was so much more to talk about now that there’s a wedding coming up. Cam Ly’s wedding will mark another historical moment in the history of the Phu family. It’s been a while since my sisters or I have crossed off an item from the list of life milestones. We’ve long since graduated from college, Cam Ly from grad school (twice). We’ve all been doing our own thing in our own worlds for a while. So it seems about the right time for another big occasion, something to celebrate.

Cam Ly will be the second in the family to get married on American soil. The first one – my cousin Lynn’s – happened when I was in third grade. I was the flower girl and I can remember quite vividly the photographer knocking on the door as my mother rushed to get us girls ready. It was so long ago, and so happy. Now, Lynn and Steve have a 15-year-old daughter, Stephanie, a beautiful home, and so much to look forward to.

Cam Ly and Brian have the same. I loved hearing Cam Ly talk about homemade invitations and where the wedding will be, what the bride’s maids will wear. I loved how Brian would make funny side comments, only because he loves my sister so much. I loved even more hearing about how they are planning to buy a house in a neighborhood with a good school, hints of future children. I feel like I’ve never heard Cam Ly so excited.

Listening to her talk about her wedding and future plans felt so eerily normal, something my family has never been. A wedding. A normal, real wedding. Cam Ly will be the one who honors American tradition. Over 30 years after my family arrived in America, Cam Ly will be taking yet another step towards the American Dream, and when it’s Cam Ly doing it, it actually feels real.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home