wan·der·lust

From reporting in Wrangell to teaching in Tanzania and Bhutan to, now, transitioning to life in the capital city of Juneau – some words on a life in flux.

09 March 2006

Crab Pot Pulling

As I was slaving away at work last Friday (actually that’s a lie. I never slave away at work unless it’s a Tuesday) when I got a phone call from Matt. He asked if I wanted to go pull some crab pots, and since I really, really did, I left work in the middle of the day for about an hour to do so.

We left from Shoemaker Harbor where he keeps his boat (soon to be name Canoe). I am never quite armed enough for the elements, especially Wrangell elements. He lent me an orange float coat and gloves.





This is Matt expertly pulling up a crab pot that his roommate, Bob, had set.








That’s Shelley behind him.









While the pot may seem quite empty, I was really excited. Especially since the second pot we pulled had zero crabs in it.








Don’t they look delicious?











This is Matt measuring the crabs. They have to be 6½ inches, or something. I’m not sure if they are allowed to be smaller or bigger. He told me, but I clearly wasn’t paying that much attention, enough to remember anyway.












After pulling out Bob’s crab pots, Matt rebaited them. He put in two small fishies.








This is me struggling to pull, what we find out to be, an empty pot. I’m sporting my Xtratufs and the orange float coat. Also take note of the typical Wrangell weather.






This is me smiling, having a good time pulling the pot, before I let Matt pull it up the rest of the way.



On our way back to the harbor, a bigger boat came racing after us. The guys on the boat accused us of messing with their pots, which we obviously hadn’t done. The pots we touched were all very well marked with Matt’s name or Bob’s name. The guy accusing looked very stern and angry and Matt got all paranoid that they would in turn mess with his pots, so we hung around a bit just to see. But I don’t think they did anything.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yum. I bet the seafood in Wrangell is AMAZE.

7:33 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home