wan·der·lust

From reporting in Wrangell to teaching in Tanzania and Bhutan to, now, transitioning to life in the capital city of Juneau – some words on a life in flux.

10 May 2006

May in Wrangell

It’s official: The sun rises in Barrow and does not set again until August.

Funny. Because the sun hasn’t shown its face around here, in Wrangell, in quite some time. I’m sure you don’t know where Barrow is, as I certainly did not know where it was until I moved here. Barrow is on the northern most tip of Alaska. Lonely Planet has this thing called Bluelist and Barrow made the Lonely Planet’s Bluelist of most remote places on earth, top ten, and ever since reading that, I want to go there. It seems like an easy task since I now reside in the state, but traveling in Alaska is one of the most costly aspects about living here. Another preventative thing is that fact that I work and cannot leave on a moment’s whim.

A moment’s whim – how great to exist always in that.

I had my radio show tonight. Or rather, I filled in for Karl’s radio show. It’s been my fourth consecutive Wednesday night spot and next week is my last one, unless I find my own. It was a great show. Maria, Dan and Phil helped me out lots and we played an awesome array of music. From a song off the Life Aquatic soundtrack to Hobo Jim to NKOTB (aka. New Kids on the Block circa Step by Step, since the radio collection did not have Hangin’ Tough). KSTK happens to be the only radio station in Wrangell, which means if anyone in Wrangell had the radio on between 7-9 p.m. then they were listening to the show. There is something amazing about lack of choice when it comes to radio.

It’s May in Wrangell, which currently means 39 degrees (Fahrenheit) and cloudy. And I’m ok with that. Scary.

1 Comments:

Blogger Mike Tozzo said...

KFSK Rules! BUYAKASHA!

1:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home